This webinar will focus on the central theme of taking full advantage of end-of-life care through increasing health literacy beyond the medical aspects. Psychosocial issues for patients, caregivers, and family are complicated but addressing them will improve outcomes and reinforce patient autonomy at the end of life. The goal is to increase understanding of spirituality and evidence-based psychosocial care to improve health outcomes. Spirituality and psychosocial care in older adults in end-of-life care is an area of import to health literacy.
- To describe the risks for low health literacy at the end of life.
- Identify barriers and solutions to discuss spirituality at the end of life.
- Review Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM) practices for culturally and linguistically appropriate provider-client communication at the end of life.
Francisco Fernandez, MD
Dr. Fernandez received his M.D. degree from Tuft's University School of Medicine and completed his psychiatry training at the Massachusetts General Hospital. He served as Director of Psychiatric Consultation Service at MD Anderson Hospital and Texas Heart Institute through 1996. Prior to serving as Chair of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine at the University of South Florida, from 1997-2002 he was the Chair of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences at Loyola University Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine. In 2014, Dr. Fernandez became Founding Dean of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine. He retired in 2020 and is Emeritus Professor in the Department of Psychiatry.
- Born in the U.S., lived in Mexico for 30 years, fully bi-lingual English/Spanish and bi-cultural
- Sharp Healthcare, San Diego: Director, Multicultural/International Services, 7 years
- U.S.-Mexico Border Health Commission (DHHS): Founding Executive Director, 2 years
- UnitedHealthcare: Vice President/Founder Latino Health Solutions, and VP-Strategy, Social Determinants of Health (SDoH),16 years
- Institute for Healthcare Advancement (IHA): Consultant, Health Literacy, Strategy/Marketing, 4 years
- Regional Center for Border Health, Arizona: Consultant, Health literacy, Vaccine Confidence 2 years
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI): Patient Engagement Advisory Panel
- Health care columnist in Spanish: Saludiario Medical Magazine, Mexico/Latin America.
Register for this webinar:
When: Sep 14, 2022 09:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Health Literacy and Spirituality at End Of Life
Earn Continuing Education Hours
CHES/MCHES: Sponsored by (Institute for Healthcare Advancement), a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc, this webinar is designated for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES) and/or Master Certified Health Education Specialists (MCHES) to receive 1 total Category I continuing education contact hours. Maximum advanced-level continuing education contact hours available are 0. Continuing Competency credits available are 0. Provider ID#: 101864
CPH: This activity is approved for 1 credit accepted by the National Board of Public Health Examiners' Certified Public Health (CPH) recertification program.
CA Nursing: Institute for Healthcare Advancement is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, CEP# 11933, for 1.0 contact hour.
It is the responsibility of each professional licensee to understand what his or her state licensing board requires for license renewal, as well as what that licensing board identifies as acceptable continuing education. Please contact your board for verification if you are unsure of your continuing education requirements.
Participants are solely responsible for determining if the continuing education provided is recognized by the regulatory or certifying entity to whom they wish to submit evidence of continuing education completion.
Please note that Continuing Education is available for LIVE - not recorded sessions.